iPad dropped on his lap and they said, “Fill it!”
IMLS grant – iPad parties. Filled it with tons of apps. Became obsessed with apps. Bought his own iPad.
Seems like an app is perfect, but is missing something or is too expensive. WAIT! There may be something else that comes along soon that is perfect AND free.
App Issues: (what he wants ppl to know)
Size – some are cool… but HUGE. Most libraries have the smaller iPads or tablets.
Ad’s a go-go – make him crazy. Try to buy some without ads. (turn off wifi if possible. will help get rid of ads.)
in-app purchases (candycrush they’re awful… but chapters or book addons may be great because you own those chapters)
App’s disappearing from the app store
Spends less than $100 a year on apps… really tries to get free ones.
- Have social networking iPad. Entire month’s worth of networking at one time
- HootSuite – Facebook, Twitter all in one place. Can pre-write content and schedule to post.
- Fingertip Maestro – in app purchases for add-ons
- Traktor DJ – play music at an event. Or want to play music for kids. Made mixes for C is for Cookie, etc Chitty Chitty Bang, bang
- Educreations Interactive Whiteboard – can record on whiteboard and unlimited space. Has pictures you can use and you can draw on it. Can archive creationsEducrations: his profile
- Tiny Tap – can use other ppl’s games or make your own games
- Endless Alphabet
- Raz-Kids – reading A-Z subscription based. Short readers go from preschool – 5th grade. Can read to yourself, listen to yourself read it…. Level goes up as they read. Use it to read to Buddy their therapy reading dog.
- 3:15 – Patrick Carman’s Tales from the Crypt type of story. Reading in the dark program. Has scary video ending at end. All take turns reading at their own level. No one can see them while they’re reading in the dark and know where they are, so no judgment.
- Madefire – Moving comic books with sound. Get first for free and then buy more
- Horrible Hauntings – Apps free you pay for the accompanying book. They bought 10 books for a program.
- Rory’s Store Cubes – Create stories with picture cubes. can get real ones, too.
- Paper by fifty three – Drawing app. Feels really fluid. Some of the other apps likes this are clunky feeling.
- Om Nom Candy Flick – Augmented reality with play. Print out picture and when the iPad sees it will show up in the play
- Toca Hair Salon 2 – Create haircuts
- Badland – Game with up to four players on one iPad. Stay alive as long as possible
- Bad Piggies HD – Build mechanical contraption to help pigs get through obstacle course.
- Scribblenauts – Good for writing and learning vocabulary. Great on the computer, too. Solve problems by creating things. Can create anything you want.